Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It's Yoga Like You've Never Seen It Before!

‘I'm just as flexible as skinny girls’: Size 22 woman wows with complicated yoga poses on social media 

  • San Francisco-based woman Valerie Sagun, 27, has over 80,000 followers on her Instagram page Big Gal Yoga where she posts photos of herself in poses
It's yoga like you've never seen it before!
Valerie Sagun, a 27-year-old yoga fanatic from the San Francisco area, has been taking social media by storm with her feats of strength and flexibility on her Instagram page Big Gal Yoga - promoting body positivity as she goes. 
'I just want to make sure that people don't feel like that they have to be scared or intimidated by learning yoga from someone who doesn't look like them,' she explains on her website's blog. 

She's got the moves: Valerie Sagun, a 27-year-old yogi, has gained over 80,000 followers on Instagram thanks to her impressive yoga poses
She's got the moves: Valerie Sagun, a 27-year-old yogi, has gained over 80,000 followers on Instagram thanks to her impressive yoga poses
Striking a balance: Valerie claims that her aim is to show others that they don't need to be intimidated out of trying yoga because of their size
Striking a balance: Valerie claims that her aim is to show others that they don't need to be intimidated out of trying yoga because of their size
'All of us have body issues whether you are big or small, but it's good to just take the time to look at yourself and just love it as it is now.'
In a series of stylish, ever-colorful yoga outfits, Valerie stretches her way to poses that even the slim-and-trim yogi would find challenging - showing that thin does not automatically mean athletic and vice versa.
She performs headstands, balances on a yoga wheel and even bends into the splits with ease in her photos, which have gained her over 80,000 followers on the social media site. 
'My fans are surprised when I do the splits because I'm a bigger girl, but I'm just as flexible as skinny girls,' Valerie recently told Closer. 'Some poses hurt my wrists because I'm carrying a lot of weight – but I love chocolate and meatballs! 
On point: In addition to her impressive poses, Valerie models a variety of colorful and creative yoga wear
Size is just a number: Valerie is able to pull off poses that even slim-and-trim people would find challenging
Size is just a number: Valerie is able to pull off poses that even slim-and-trim people would find challenging
Moving up: Valerie started taking yoga while studying fine art at university three years ago
Moving up: Valerie started taking yoga while studying fine art at university three years ago
'I don't care what people say, I believe I have a great body – women tell me I'm inspiring and men think my curves are sexy!' 
The plus-size social media sensation began doing yoga about three years ago while taking a Fine Arts degree at university, after signing up to take Hatha classes twice per week.
She now uses almost anywhere as her personal yoga mat - pulling moves in her backyard, a local park, on the beach and as well as in a local studio, sharing her achievements along the way in photo and video form. 
The practice has been so life-changing and inspiring for her, she recently announced that she hopes to learn to pass on the benefits to others by becoming a teacher and giving other plus-size people the confidence to try yoga. 
Positive: Valerie also promotes self-acceptance, saying, 'I believe I have a great body – women tell me I'm inspiring and men think my curves are sexy!'
Positive: Valerie also promotes self-acceptance, saying, 'I believe I have a great body – women tell me I'm inspiring and men think my curves are sexy!'
Whenever, wherever: Starting with taking Hatha classes twice per week, Valerie has moved onto not only taking classes, but practicing any place she can
Whenever, wherever: Starting with taking Hatha classes twice per week, Valerie has moved onto not only taking classes, but practicing any place she can
Ups and downs: The yogi says that one downside to practicing at her size is that she gets sore wrists because of her weight, but makes no apologies because she loves 'chocolate and meatballs'
On her way: Valerie intends to gain teacher training and pass on her tips and tricks to pupils
On her way: Valerie intends to gain teacher training and pass on her tips and tricks to pupils
Valerie is currently raising money through GoFundMe for teacher training tuition to the 7 Centers Yoga Arts in Sedona, Arizona.
So far, she has raised $2,700 of the $4,000 thanks to her very vocal supporters.
'Please continue to do what you love!' wrote one woman who donated to Valerie's cause. 'I'm also a big gal learning yoga and I love that you are strong enough to follow your dream.'
'You are absolutely fantastic. So beautiful and so inspiring,' wrote another. 'I am a former yoga instructor and I don't think I can do half the poses you are currently awesome at!'

1 comment:

  1. After reading this I have no reason not to try and learn yoga myself. i wouldn't call myself fat but I am a bigger sized girl and I have always shied away from going to yoga classes because I am worried about what other people will think of me and my size. This has really inspired me to go out and learn some yoga poses.

    Irving Hammond @ Panacea CR

    ReplyDelete